Information regarding key workers - Updated March 20th

Friday March 20th

This morning we have received further guidance from the Department of Education on how we maintain education provision following the announcement earlier this week that schools will close.
You can access the parent guide here -
We are continuing to work through what this means for us as a school and we will provide more information as the situation progresses.

The Department for Education has released the list of key workers today. Please find set out below a list of these and some important questions and answers:

Health and social care

This includes but is not limited to doctors, nurses, midwives, paramedics, social workers, care workers, and other frontline health and social care staff including volunteers; the support and specialist staff required to maintain the UK’s health and social care sector; those working as part of the health and social care supply chain, including producers and distributers of medicines and medical and personal protective equipment.

Education and childcare

This includes childcare, support and teaching staff, social workers and those specialist education professionals who must remain active during the COVID-19 response to deliver this approach.

Key public services

This includes those essential to the running of the justice system, religious staff, charities and workers delivering key frontline services, those responsible for the management of the deceased, and journalists and broadcasters who are providing public service broadcasting.

Local and national government

This only includes those administrative occupations essential to the effective delivery of the COVID-19 response, or delivering essential public services, such as the payment of benefits, including in government agencies and arms length bodies.

Food and other necessary goods

This includes those involved in food production, processing, distribution, sale and delivery, as well as those essential to the provision of other key goods (for example hygienic and veterinary medicines).

Public safety and national security

This includes police and support staff, Ministry of Defence civilians, contractor and armed forces personnel (those critical to the delivery of key defence and national security outputs and essential to the response to the COVID-19 pandemic), fire and rescue service employees (including support staff), National Crime Agency staff, those maintaining border security, prison and probation staff and other national security roles, including those overseas.


This includes those who will keep the air, water, road and rail passenger and freight transport modes operating during the COVID-19 response, including those working on transport systems through which supply chains pass.

Utilities, communication and financial services

This includes staff needed for essential financial services provision (including but not limited to workers in banks, building societies and financial market infrastructure), the oil, gas, electricity and water sectors (including sewerage), information technology and data infrastructure sector and primary industry supplies to continue during the COVID-19 response, as well as key staff working in the civil nuclear, chemicals, telecommunications (including but not limited to network operations, field engineering, call centre staff, IT and data infrastructure, 999 and 111 critical services), postal services and delivery, payments providers and waste disposal sectors.

If workers think they fall within the critical categories above they should confirm with their employer that, based on their business continuity arrangements, their specific role is necessary for the continuation of this essential public service.

 What will the school do with this information?
We will use it to compile registers of who we may expect on a daily basis. We regret we cannot admit students whose parents have not returned the form or contacted us directly to supply the required information or whose parents do not fall into the category of key worker.

Does this mean I have to send my child to school?
No. You must continue to support the policy of social distancing if you have your own childcare arrangements in place and if these do not put vulnerable people at risk. Our attendance codes will not result in unauthorised absence being recorded on your child’s record.

What if I do not need to send my child in every day?
You should only send students to school if you cannot make your own childcare arrangements. Safeguarding is our primary concern and we will continue to take registers of students who are present.

What do I do if my child is unwell?
You should continue to follow Government guidance on self-isolation.

What if I work shift patterns?
The school has been directed to open during normal school hours.

Where should my child go when they arrive at school?
Students should sign in at Student Reception each day.

What if my child is in Year 11?
They are welcome in school if parents are key workers. We will offer them continuance of their academic studies in preparation for Key Stage 5 and additional prefectural duties for those who wish to undertake them.

Why do I need to supply you with catering information?
This will help us plan staffing and stock levels for catering provision.

What is the situation regarding free school meals?
We are investigating how this will operate. Our finance team will clarify as soon as possible.

If you think you fall under the category of key worker, in order for us to assess how many children and young people will require provision from Monday, please complete the attached form and email it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as soon as possible so that we can process this information over the weekend. Click here to download the key worker school provision form